Thursday, October 30, 2008

Understanding "Understanding"

So this blog post happens to be about the section "Understanding" in 26 Lies. Seems like an easy task right? I mean, all there is in this part is a set of eyes. Albeit sad eyes, but still no words. So how hard could it be? Turns out pretty hard, because its way easier to comment on something when it has words. Besides describing how something physically looks, what else are you going to say about a picture? And don't give me that "a picture is worth a thousand words" stuff. I will believe that when I see a thousand words about a picture. And I haven't yet. But anyway, understanding. I think we are probably led to believe that these are "understanding" eyes because of the title. In this sense I mean they under the same category when people say someone has caring eyes, sympathetic eyes, compassionate eyes, kindly eyes, and considerate eyes. It means you look upon someone with all those adjectives in your face. Apparently something like 80% of our non verbal communication comes from our eyes. I guess then it is appropriate then if you wanted to portray some emotion with some part of the human body, it would be the eyes. As far as what we are understanding, I haven't the slightest idea. It could be one of any number of things. The book is about so much, and the reader doesn't understand a whole lot throughout the book anyway, that this passage about understanding could mean we are trying to understand thousands of possibilities of things. So the point of "Understanding" is that we don't understand it. How ironic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home