Wednesday, December 10, 2008

NaNoWriMo 2009

NanNoWriMo is an abbreviation for an annual writing project deemed National Novel Writing Month. It is hosted by a non-profit organization that encourages the practice of writing on the whole. You can find the website here

Now the fun part is that every November they challenge participants to write 50,000 words in 30 days. A daunting challenge indeed.

So I learned about this a bit too late into this year's project but I decided that I will participate in next year's NaNoWriMo. Why? Well simply because it would be a fun test of ability. Plus it would sound really neat at fancy parties if you could entertain people by discussing the novel you have written. I have always wanted to make off-hand comments like "Oh yes that reminds me of a particular struggle of one of the characters in my novel." "Oh you wrote a novel?" "Hmm? Oh yes that little thing. Nothing special. Just 50,000 words."

I've always had a sort of love affair with creative writing. I like coming up with stories and the like. But I hate the practice of actually writing. It is always so tedious and I become bored after a while. It is also important to note that a novel written in a month is complete dreck. Especially written by an amateur. I haven't seen a good novel come out of the program after 10 years. And the writers are usually the first to admit that their novels are a piece of garbage. But they always say it was an important lesson in writing. Some accomplished writers have come from NaNoWriMo. (supposedly)

I thought I would make a blog post about it so I can't back down a year from now. So if you see me next fall ask me how my novel is coming along.

1,000/1,000 (Yeah I finished the other day and I'm assembling them into strands. I'll post pictures if i get a chance.)

1 Comments:

Blogger AKH said...

NaNoWriMo 2009 - if I didn't know what that was before reading your blog, I would've thought that it was some weird name for a video game.

That's a neat idea for a contest/exhibition. It gives people a chance to get their writing out to the public, and possibly get a start on a career in writing. Plus everything that I've read from your posts is really good, even it if it is sometimes pretty random...Good Luck next year!

and congrats on finishing the paper cranes :)

December 10, 2008 at 11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home