Tuesday, November 18, 2008

For My Grandma!

This is about 2 weeks late but the reason I am even writing it is because of my grandmother. She likes to write letters to me and demands that I write back and well she is a good six letters up on me at this point. So I figure I need to get one out to her soon. In her latest letter she wanted me to describe to her my position on the latest election. So I thought I might as well and double this up as a blog post and a letter back to my grandmother. She wanted the following from me

a.) describe what I did immediately after Obama won
b.) my thoughts and feelings about it.

So this is pretty easy. I was one of those kids who got caught up in the unruly mob who marched down to Church Street. It was a surreal experience. I heard shouting from my dorm room so my girlfriend and I go out to see what is happening. Then we get engulfed in a group of hundreds. It was an amazing thing to witness/be a part of. It gave me an overwhelming sense of hope. Hope that I have cynically been missing for some time now. Just seeing so many people overjoyed and ready for change. I guess apathy wasn't as wide spread as I thought. Let's hope people don't lose this fervor and do something with it. It certainly was a historic moment that I won't forget. It is exactly what our generation needed. I said to later was that in my entire life I have only seen that many people come together in such a way. And that was after 9/11. This is the first event I can recall that was the result of something good.

So that is basically what is going into my grandmother's letter or part of it anyway.

Something Obama is doing that really excites me is his weekley youtube addresses to the nation



I bet it has been said before but it reminds of me of FDR's fireside chats. But it is cool how Obama is taping into modern technology to inform the masses. It all makes so much sense and is ridiculously simple. It make you wonder why it took until 2008 for it to happen. One time there was a study saying people won't watch a video that is over 3 minutes. So he seems to be keen to this. Also someone working with these videos is a genius because they disabled the comment section.


oh and before I forget 336/1000

2 Comments:

Blogger AKH said...

Whoever came up with Obama giving weekly addresses to the nation should be given a significant raise...or a new puppy...haha

I think that this is a great idea, very reminiscent of FDR's fireside chats. It shows that we can expect good things during the next four years with Obama as our new president. The fact that he's taking this initiative even before he's technically in office says a lot about his dedication and his determination to fix this many issues that this country has, whether it is health care or the economy.

It's really clever of him to tap into that source of information/entertainment that SOO many people, especially in the younger generation access on a daily basis.

Also a smart idea: the guy who disabled the comment section....totally agree.

November 19, 2008 at 1:16 PM  
Blogger Kaleb said...

I remember the night Obama won. My RA had a friend over and she screamed SO loudly I almost crapped myself. I remember what she said because the way she said it was odd. She said: "YEEEEAAAHHH!!!!!!! WE GOT A BLACK PRESI-MOTHERFUCKIN'-DENT!" And then devolved into hysterical shrieking for about 20 minutes.

I couldn't handle any more after that. I went outside and joined the "riot." It was calmer and more laid back.

Then came the streakers. Then we went back to a friend's dorm and had a mini-party. That was a good night. I was happy he won.

November 19, 2008 at 1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home