Sunday, November 2, 2008

Let Me All Show You Something or The Best Soda In The World

Let me preach to you for a moment about the most delicious concoction ever developed by man. A drink so heavenly and god-like one would call it the earthly Ambrosia.

It is called Mr. Pibb or more accurately, since 2001, Pibb X-tra.



Perhaps some of you have it where you are from but up in Vermont it can only be found in a few places. But they are all hours away and only from soda fountains. You can not find bottles or cans here.

I happened upon it one day in New York City when it was on tap at a subway in the business district. I thought I was getting Dr. Pepper but I was pleasantly surprised by the party my taste buds where having. Let me try and explain the taste. It is kinda like Dr. Pepper but rather then having a sharp kick it is creamy and smooth and fantastic. To try to liken it to anything else is to discredit its flavor.

The history behind Mr. Pibb as best as I can tell originated in the 70's when Coke released Dr. Pepper. Pepsi tried to counter with a soda for the everyman not just those with a PHD. Pepsi made some marketing and distribution mistakes along the way which allowed Dr. Pepper to gain the upper hand in the battle. Mr. Pibb had not lost the war, however, and instead of being discontinued it was luckily limited in distributions. This was due in part to the product selling very well in the Southern areas of the country. To this day Pibb can be found in large quantities down South. Unfortunately for Northern fans it is a bit more difficult to obtain.

I have friends who have sent me pibb up from the south at times. But the cost is crazy. Soda is fairly cheap. But it is heavy. Shipping charges are outrageous. I bought 4 12-packs to send up. It ended up costing me 30 dollars in shipping. I won't do that again for a long while unless I have exhausted all other options. But my stash is running low. I make them last. I don't drink much soda to begin with and I try to drink my Pibbs only on special occasions.

Mostly I made this post to see if anyone has this stuff where they are from and if they do can you get it for me? But feel free to laugh at me and my weird obsessions. Also if you have had Pibb and don't agree with my lauding of it. I will have no Pibb bashing on my blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home