Sunday, November 2, 2008

Jam the jams out.

I hate pop music.

Seriously.

My senior thesis in high school was about how MTV ruins America.

Thus,

As a public service, I am offering an assortment of music by musicians that I feel you should know and respect.

Enjoy...


First up, the classic funky and relaxed sounds of A Tribe Called Quest.



Next, the incredible compositional skills of Bach, accompanied by a really freakin cool visual representation of each note.



Watching the Bach video reminded me of a video that I saw a while back, starring the music of John Coltrane. It's a graphic interpretation of the structure of Jazz, in terms of a basic melody and then improvisation based off of the melody. To this day it's one of my favorite animations of all time. I really suggest you check this one out despite the fact that you can't just hit play.

John Coltrane - Giant Steps (Animation by Michal Levy)

What better way to start the 70's than with the Band of Gypsies? Fast forward to 2:15 if you wanna skip the countdown.



Ok, enough classics, time for a video made after we were born. Virtuosos all around to be quite honest... Time for Jojo Mayer, possessor of two of the quickest hands in drumming today.



What would this compilation be without the incredibly eclectic styles of Bela Fleck and his band, the Flecktones.



And finally, one of the most famous drum solos of all time, courtesy of Stevie Wonder.



72ner out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home