Saturday, September 20, 2008

I always do the titles last.

Alright, so it seems to me I have been lacking in quality blog posts. After the first vote I was seeing all these "Royale with Cheese" votes and I was thinking to myself "Man, I haven't done anything substantial for this blog and we are still winning" (I think, I didn't tally up the votes. For the sake of argument lets assume we are). So after thinking for a bit I could potentially be a total freeloader and just reap the rewards of my partners awesome blog posts, I decided I would just have to create an equally fun and amusing post. So here we go.


So far we have covered the spectrum of our old favorite movies, and our old (or, that is, apparently still current) favorite music, so what do we have left? Old TV shows of course! Who doesn't love to reminisce about shows of old. Or the 90's in this case. Here are some of my favorites in no particular order. There are a lot, so I comment more on some than others.



Recess

I always wanted my school to be like that. I wanted to be TJ Detweiler. To pull the kind of stuff he did and walk away trouble free was amazing to me. I wondered why my school wasn't run by a quasi-monarchical 5th grader. Then I remembered, because we didn't have 5 story fortresses and secret underground tire lairs at our disposal. That's why.



Captain Planet





Protecting the environment has never been so cool. With his flat-topped mullet-esque hair thing going on, I would listen to that man when he talked. Even if the criminal masterminds he fought were a little odd, (all they wanted was to ruin the environment, not power or to rule the world...) they were still scary enough looking to warrant me getting pumped up when Captain Planet fought them. Also, it's been said hundreds of times, but it's worth repeating, what the hell does heart do? No one cares about heart, and it is a stupid useless power. "Instill love and passion into people and communicate telepathically with animals" was technically what it did, which is really just a case in point for it being a stupid useless power.


Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Possibly one of the coolest crime fighting teams ever. With their hip jargon like "Dude" and "whoa brahhhh" and "Pizza!" they really knew how to connect with the kids of the time. They loved to party, eat, hang out with some hot broad, learn from a giant rat, and occasionally destroyed enemies using karate and swords and what not. It really hard to top them in terms of being bad ass. This itself proves it:




You're a turkey man, a total turkey.



Pokemon

No one will admit they watched it. But everyone did. You know it. You even won't admit to yourself you know the original 150 pokemon (when it got into the like 400-500 range you knew that was bs). But seriously, if one of your friends little brothers was playing and asked you what pokemon something was, you would totally play it off like you had no idea. But you knew. You always knew that was an eevee and it evolved with 4 different stones. But now that built up knowledge of every pokemon and every secret in the first couple if game boy games is now totally useless. Oh well.


Doug


A classic. I think it was partially because we all knew we were cooler than Doug. Let's face it, Porkchop was much cooler. Doug was a nice guy and all, but kind of a wimp, and generally unlucky. For example, to my knowledge he never got with Patty Mayonaise and he in fact collapsed her house once throwing stones at it. Poor lovesick guy. He also wore a sweatervest in like the 5th grade. At least he had awesome alter-egos like Quailman. I always wondered if i was supposed to catch some sort of subtle racial undertone with all the characters being drastically different colors, but none of them black. I always wondered if there was some meaning to all that, or if the animators just felt like messing around. I'll probably never know.

Transformers


I watched them before the movie. I even saw the original movie. 1986 cartoon movie. I'm glad liking Transformers became cool again when Megan Fox is involved, because now I can wear my autobots shirt and not get laughed at. Much.





Saved by the Bell

If we were cool and lived in California, our lives would be like the kids from Saved by the Bell. The kids could do no wrong, Zack was wicked cool, AC Slater (along with having a sick name) was wicked jacked, Kelly was pretty, Jessie was like the president of everything, Lisa was a hip fashion designer, and Screech was a genius. Add them all together and you get a dream team for mayhem and mischeif and learning valuble life lessons. One of my favorite life lessons was don't take pills that make you stay awake, or you literally go insane. Check it out:




Best part is I believe those were caffine pills. Aren't those legal?



Cliff Notes Version of the rest because this is getting long:

Whose Line is it Anyway-I think it spanned into the 2000's, but its worth mentioning since it was one of the best sketch comedy shows ever.
Power Rangers-Nothing is funnier than dubbed over Japanese shows with over exaggerated fighting moves.
Sonic-Guy was wicked fast and had a pal Tails who could fly. Fun fact: Voiced by Steve Urkel.
Alvin and the Chipmunks- Set tempo to "fast" and have fun.
Rugrats-Way too smart to be normal babies. Why could Angelica hear both them an adults?
Full House- Mary Kate and Ashley play one person. John Stamos is the man.
Bill Nye-I learned a lot and it had a sweet theme song.
Fresh Prince of Bell-Air-Now this is a story all about how...
Rocket Power-Kids could do every extreme sport imaginable, but couldn't figure out how to deal with real life issues, like school.
Biker Mice from Mars-Bonus points if you even know this one...



Yep, that's it. Don't think I missed any. And as the title suggests, I do titles last and I couldn't think of something clever enough. So that explains that.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger A Underwood said...

Awesome. Sonic had the third best theme song ever. Next to Ducktales and Gummi Bears.

I want to add the following shows to the collective conscious.

Legends of the Hidden Temple
Wienerville
Nick Arcade
Are You Afraid of the Dark?

September 22, 2008 at 8:55 AM  
Blogger AKH said...

I think Boy Meets World deserves to be mentioned on that list. I was/am addicted to that show!

September 23, 2008 at 12:32 PM  
Blogger charlotte snowe said...

OMG! this is the best post ever!
1. TMNT ( i am proud to admit that i have a hoodie with them on it that i wear religiously. Go michaelangelo!

I also second for Legends of the Hidden Temple!!

And you can't forget: Stick Stickley, Supermarket sweep, GAS, Where in the world is Carmen San Diego and Mad Libs.

Good memories guys! just watch out that indigo squirt is up and coming.

September 23, 2008 at 5:00 PM  
Blogger Doug DeMaio said...

My name is Doug. There was definitely a time in my life where I was called Doug Funny almost exclusively by my peers...

I agree that Ducktales and Gummi Bears had the best theme songs. Along with Saved by the Bell though... and the Growing Pains one was a freakin' tear jerker. I'll play that at my wedding/ 50th anniversary (making a lot of assumptions there..)

But I also have to kick it back way old school with Winnie the Pooh... That show was fantastic. Dare I say, better than Sesame Street?

September 24, 2008 at 11:13 AM  
Blogger Tess said...

Oh the good old days. Boy Meets World was awesome. I also have to add Hey Arnold, I was so fascinated with all of the kids' different shaped heads. Haha I remember that I watched Legends of the Hidden Temple and had nightmares from the guys that popped out in the obstacle course and grabbed the kids.

September 29, 2008 at 6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home