Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Slice of life

So I too read Slice like I was supposed to. It seems like it is big news on all the course blogs. So I am going to put in my thoughts as well. My initial reaction was that I enjoyed it quite a bit even though it was very short and inconclusive. I thought it was similar to the "lonelygirl15" videos on youtube. Just the way they used a new medium to tell a narrative starting in a seemingly normal fashion. I didn't really like the girl in Slice (Lisa?), she seemed to be painted as the stereotypical miunderstood teenager who loves Emily the Strange and listens to The Cure. It is just a little generic is all I'm saying.

I don't know if anyone else felt vibes of Alice in Wonderland. The obvious connection would be the hare going down a hole into another world followed by a young, curious, girl. That screams Alice to me. Also the appearances of cats all over the place like the Cheshire Cat (Mary Jane's stuffed cat, Claribella). That one is actually a stretch but I needed something else to make my comparison seem meanigful.

Like most people there are a few things I didn't quite understand. I mean, besides the normal questions like "where the hell did they go?" and "what happened?", there was one thing that just struck me as odd. I was confused on how Mary Jane's family really died (if they died at all). Slice said that they died in a car accident. Her parents said they died in a plane crash. Did they just "go through" as well?

I didn't email the characters because I didn't know if I would actually get a response but I think it would have been really neat to be immersed in an interactive experiance like this. I thought the story was told brilliantly and ended exactly where it should have. Can't wait to discuss it in class.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger aujwat6 said...

Hey, you're right! This story does seem like Alice in Wonderland. I didn't think of that while I was reading Slice....good observation.
I also agree that Lisa's character was very generic. It seems that everyone only writes about people with problems nowadays, but I guess it sells. I mean, who would want to read about some normal girl who doesn't have any problems? It doesn't make for a good story in my opinion.

September 11, 2008 at 7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home