Sunday, October 5, 2008

I want ___ and candy. But mostly candy.

You know the saying you shouldn't go shopping when you are hungry? I think the same goes for blogging. I am trying to think of a great blog post, but all I can do is sit here and look at the fun dip on my desk or the reeses in our common room. So why not write about it, if i can't stop thinking about it anyway. So candy. It is generally made to be very tasty, yet there is a lot of controversy over which candy is good and which is not. I am going to go through my personal favorites, and some I can't stand.





First, any and all Wonka products. That book was not lying, everything is delicious. I don't think they make any bad candy. Nerds, gobstoppers, pixy stix, runts, laffy taffy, sweet tarts, and my favorite, fun dip. They all were excellent, and all had many different colors of sugar.





Milky Way was one of my favorite bars. It was smooth and creamy and melted in your mouth. There was just enough of the caramel to nougat ratio to make it appealing. For example, 3 Musketeers has a 100:0 ratio of nougat to caramel, and they really aren't that good. You needed both the caramel and nougat, and enough of both.

Twix. Whoever thought if this was a very smart person. "I know, I will combine a cookie and a candy bar". The result is a crispy but not too crunchy mix of some sort of cookie like thing with some caramel on top covered in chocolate. It is tasty and is sort of like the other side of Milky Way, if they were crispy instead of smooth.

M&M's, I am convinced, are some of the best candy on the face of the planet. I don't care of that "they melt in your mouth not in your hand" deal is a crock, they still are wonderful. I had a friend once who said each color of M&M tasted different and that he could taste the difference. Then he proceeded to guess each the color of each one he was eating. I have no idea how he did it, but it proves M&M's aren't just tasty, they are a fun party game.

100 grand's are severely underrated, albeit not worth 100 grand. But they are quite chewy and decedent and worth mentioning here.

Candy Corn is a classic, and I remembered it just because it's getting close to Halloween. They have a taste that is very distinct and different from all other candy. Kind of tastes like maple sugar candy without the maple, if that makes any sense.

Sour Patch kids/Warheads were what I ate when I needed my sour fix. SPK's were good because they were a little sour but then you were rewarded with a nice sweet gummy candy. Warhead were just pure soury pain. But you loved them and needed to eat like 3 in a minute to prove that little warning label wrong.


Thats the short list of my favorite candies. I consider myself pretty open minded when it comes to trying new candy, but some are just aweful. Like these.

Take 5. Like with anything, just because 2 or more things are good separate, doesn't mean they will be good together. Like women and hot dog eating contests. Both really cool separately, but I just don't want to watch women stuff themselves with big hot dogs. But that's just me. Anyway Take 5 goes as far as to put a pretzel into a candy bar. What a bad idea.

Necco Wafers shouldn't even be classified as candy. They are more like thin flavored Tums pills. And they aren't even good flavors either, you would think they would spring for some watermelon or something. Finding these in your Halloween candy was the equivalent of getting socks for Christmas.

Almond Joy's also weren't too good. Didn't they have some coconut in there too? And the chocolate wasn't nearly good enough to make up for the poor nut taste you would get. It was just a bad experience.

Finally, those circus peanut things. They don't even warrant discussion.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Puzzles to Print said...

Good time for a post about candy with Haloween coming up. Thanks for reminding me of those I had forgotten - those orange peanut things particularly! So buried in my mind that I might have only dreamed it, but there you say they really exist. If you're interested, here's something on French Candy. Cheers.

October 6, 2008 at 1:00 AM  
Blogger bLOWFISH said...

Haha i like your decision to review candy! I agree with your idea of the aweful candies, but i have to add 100 grand into that pile. senior year when everyone had to sell a box of candy, it was tough because nobody would buy the hundred grand bars and the twix always went first... everyone had to sell the 100 grand to the parents and older people because they were the only ones who seemed to like it... I think that you should throw in skittles after m&ms. just for the fruitful variety. =)

October 7, 2008 at 10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home